Welcome to BIIT(DEGREE)
One of the most emerging Degree College in Orissa at Bhubaneswar providing quality technical education.
Established in the year 2010 under Orissa Child Welfare & Education Trust (OCWET), this institution is few kms. from heart of the capital city Bhubaneswar.
BIIT is equipped with Computer Center to cater to the needs of students and faculty in the Institute. It is having specialized laboratories to provide variety of platforms and computing environment for degree students.
- Admission Open for Classes 1 to 9 for the session 2017-18
Basic Science: The Discipline.
Basic Science- As the name suggests this discipline is elemental to all the branches of . Being fundamental to all disciplines, it emerges as an indispensable and important area of research. The three important areas are Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry which comprise the domain of Basic science. The broad spectrum of this discipline makes its scope almost border-free. It permeates through the courses and brings up the applications of core branches. It is that strand that holds as disciplines under one gravitation pull and chemical bonding and further differentiates then into fields of higher research.
Basic Science- The Job Market:-
A career in cannot be materialized until one has got a strong hold on mathematics, physics and chemistry. The market is today feeling a dearth of mathematicians, physicists and experts in chemistry. The upcoming technological tsunami has created an umbrella of opportunities for those aspiring to achieve greater heights in or research. There is huge demand for specialists in basic science in aerospace industry, nuclear research and space technology and computer science.
Basic Science- At BIIT
The department of basic science in BIIT includes physics, chemistry, mathematics, physics of semiconductor devices, material science and , electromagnetic field waves, numerical methods, operation research, discrete mathematics and physics lab and chemistry lab. The basic science form the foundation to pursue the applied sciences and technologies. Hence department of basic science act as a briolge between class twelth understanding and real professional core technical courses.
Physics is the study of nature which is demonstrated at Physics Laboratory. Physics Laboratory imparts the necessary theoretical knowledge and technical skill for all the budding Engineers of BIIT to handle the precision tools and electronic gadgets there by lying the foundation stone for the future technocrats in the practice of their professions. The basic focus in the Physics Laboratory is to develop scientific temper and encourage students to innovate in diverse technical areas for better understanding of technical and problems.
Students will attend labs where they will see principle of Physics in action. The Physics Laboratory is well ventilated having a floor area of 175 m2 inclusive of a separate dark room for the optical experiments. There is ample provision of steel almirah and iron racks for safe storage of the equipments.The experiments prescribed by BPUT have been carefully planned in cycles so that maximum 2 to 3 students can conduct a single experiments in given period. Multiplicity of gadgets is avoided ensuring maximum resource utilization. The dark room of the physics lab is well equipped to conduct optical experiments.
Experiment set-ups are available in the department for laboratory work to substantiate the theory that is being taught in the class during 1st/2nd semesters as per the BPUT syllabus. It is equipped with all the apparatus required as per the BPUT curriculum. Adequate number of sets of each experiment is available so as to accommodate 30 students at a time in the laboratory. Each group is guided by a team of two faculty members, one laboratory assistant and one laboratory attendant.
In Physics laboratory we have various physics instruments like-
1. Searle’s apparatus
2. Surface tension Kit
3. Traveling Microscopes
4. Bar Pendulum
6. Lee’s Disc Apparatus
7. Newton’s Ring Apparatus
9. Junction Diode Kit
11. Transistor Characteristics Kit
12. RC Circuit Kit
13. Optical Bench
14. Plank’s Constant Apparatus
15. Modulus of Rigidity Apparatus
16. Hall Effect kit
A comprehensive demonstration is carried out by the faculty members for each experiment to help the students in better understanding of the experimental procedure and the theoretical concepts required to perform that experiment. Besides, in every practical class there is a viva-voce test of the concerned experiment to asses the understanding of the students.
As per BPUT curriculum, We conduct the following experiments in our lab.
1. Determination of Young’s modulus of steel wire by Searle’s methods.
2. Determination of surface tension of water by capillary rise method.
3. Determination of acceleration due to gravity by Bar pendulum.
4. Determination of thermal conductivity of a bad conductor by Lee’s method.
5. Determination of wave length of light of light by Newton’s ring apparatus.
6. Determination of grating element of a diffraction grating.
7. Plotting of characteristic curves of a PN junction diode.
8. Verification of laws of vibration of strings using Sonometer.
9. Plotting of characteristic curves of BJT.
10. Study of RC circuit.
Apart from the above, provision exists to conduct the following experiments.
1. Determination of Rigidity modulus by static methods.
2. Determination of wavelength of laser source by diffraction grating methods.
3. Study of Hall Effect.
4. Study of a Photoemission.
In addition to afore mentioned regular assignments, Physics Laboratory is actively engaged in research, development and project preparation activities at BIIT. This vibrant research benefits the students as professors bring the excitement of their front line research into the classroom. Many undergraduate projects are associated with this research hub.
Chemestry Laboratory :-
The Chemistry Laboratory is well located with an airy and spacious hall of floor area 175 sq.meter including a store room for safe keeping of explosive & corrosive chemicals in view of the Laboratory safety. Each working table in the laboratory is well furnished with reagent racks & well connected with water supply & Burners. The experiments prescribed by BPUT have been carefully planned in cycles so that individual student can conduct single experiments independently and multiplicity of gadgets is avoided ensuring maximum resource utilization.The Demonstrator to students ratio in the labs is maintained at 1:15 and the lab groups are planned at 30 each. The students conduct their Lab. Assignments under the vigilant guidance and support of two faculty members, one Laboratory Assistant & one laboratory attendant.The Chemistry Laboratory is well equipped with various instruments other than the usual glasswares & chemicals as per BPUT syllabus, which includes:
• Digital Spectrophotometer
• Dissolve Oxygen meter
• Pensky Marten Flash Point Apparatus
• Cleveland Flash & Fire Point Apparatus
• Redwood Viscometer No.1
• Muffle Furnace
• Water Bath(6 holes)
• Water distillation Unit
• Digital pH meter
• Triple Beam Balance
• Analytical Balance
As per syllabus prescribed by BPUT, the laboratory is conducting with the following Experiments
• Determination of amount of sodium hydroxide and sodium carbonate in a mixture.
• Estimation of calcium in limestone.
• Standardization of KMnO4 using sodium oxalate.
• Determination of Ferrous iron in Mohr’s salt by potassium permanganate.
• Determination of Viscosity of a lubricating oil by Red wood viscometer.
• Determination of Flash point of a given oil by Pensky_Marten’s flash point approach.
• Determination of dissolved Oxygen in a sample of water.
• Determination of percentage of available chlorine in a sample of bleaching powder.
• Determination of rate constant of acid catalysed hydrolysis reaction.
• Determination of total hardness of water by EDTA method
The department is also committed to sustain the scientific enquiry of the students and research that is socially beneficial.